Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ruhaani Roomali


Wikipedia defines it as ' a thin bread from the northernmost part of India and Pakistan and a traditional element in Mughlai cuisine. The word rumal means handkerchief in Urdu and Hindi, and the name rumali roti means handkerchief bread. The extreme thinness of the bread and the fact that it is usually served folded like a handkerchief are the probable sources of the name. The consistency and taste is very much like the Lavash bread.'

But for me the simple 'handkerchief' like Indian bread is soul stirring which engulfs my heart in a way no other dish has ever done....
I first heard about ' Roomali Roti' on a trip to Lucknow with my mom about 20 years ago. After spending the day in the lanes of Meena Baazar. I stopped at the magical sight of the roti flying through air and settling down lovingly on the hands of ' the creator'.

Like melted butter enveloping toast, I felt a desire running through my veins. It was not just any roti, it was Magic..

It was what Marilyn Monroe's flying skirt does to men and women alike...
It was like moonlight sprinkling the Taj Mahal with ethereal light...

It is astonishing that something that simple could create such a lasting impression.

20 years later I still love the Roomali as much as I loved back then.

Ruhaani Roomali!


No comments: